We acknowledge the Wallumattagal as the prior Aboriginal owners of this area.
Sydney Movement for the Ordination of Women
We support the full & equal role of women in society and in the ministry of the Church.
St Mark's & All Saints' Churches, Anglican Parish of Hunters Hill
History of All Saints
Growing settlement in the Hunters Hill area from 1860 onwards led to a decision being made in 1874 to aquire a suitable site on which to build a church to seat 400 people and a vicarage. The site was found and purchased in 1884 for £1100. In the same year John Horbury Hunt was commissioned as architect for the church.
Hunt, a British North American who arrived in Sydney in 1863, was an associate of Edmund Blackett before setting up his own consultancy. All Saints' is Hunt's only remaining Sydney church. He designed the cathedrals of Armidale, Grafton and Newcastle, numerous country parish churches, hospitals, warehouses, shops and private dwellings. The estimated cost of All Saints' was to be £6,000.
The foundation stone was laid on 30th May 1885. The church was opened and dedicated on 22nd April, 1888. Because of the financial situation of the Parish, the Church was unfinished at the opening, so a temporary wooden western end was built, where the amber glass screen is now. There has been a cost overrun of some 35% of the original estimate. The debt on the Church was paid by 13th November 1913, and it was then able to be consecrated in November that year. The wooden end was not removed until 1938, when the west end was completed.
The total length of the present Nave and porc, is the length Hunt planned for the Nav (to seat 400). According to the original plan we are still short of the porch and tower. The present porch was opened, dedicated and consecrated on 7th December 1938.
The organ built in 1888 by Bevington and Sons, Soho, London, is one of the largest examples remaining in the world of a Bevington in virtually original condition. It was first played here in June 1888. The Bevington Organ was completely restored and rebuilt in 1998. All Saints' has had and continues to have a strong musical tradition. There has been a choir here since the opening.
This page last updated 14/09/2007 Top of page