We acknowledge the Wallumattagal as the prior Aboriginal owners of this area.
Sydney Movement for the Ordination of Women
We support the full & equal role of women in society and in the ministry of the Church.
St Mark's & All Saints' Churches, Anglican Parish of Hunters Hill
History of St Mark's
St Mark's Church is the mother church of the Anglican Parish of Hunters Hill and was opened as a chapel-schoolhouse in 1858. It was built on what was the corner of Church and Joubert Streets.
It was used as a school until 1870, when the Hunters Hill Public School opened its doors. The Chapel was a place of worship and a Sunday School until 1888 when the new Church of All Saints' was opened and dedicated. The Figtree Chapel continued to be used for services and Sunday School until its resumption by the Department of Main Roads, to allow for the roadworks of the noertern expressway with the Figtree, Tarban Creek and Gladesville bridges in 1962.
All the resumed properties at Figtree were demolished, except the old Chapel. The intense interest of the local and wider community in preserving the oldest public building in Hunters Hill saved it from demolition.
A site in Figtree Road (the tennis court of 'Kaoota') was given by the Hindwood Family for the re-erection of the Chapel. The last service on its original site was on Sunday, 11th March 1962. The opening service on the new site and its dedication as 'St Mark's Church was on Sunday, 28th October 1962.
In 1999 the historic KINLOCH organ built c. 1845 was aquired, restored and installed in the north transcept of St. Mark's.
On February 17, 2008 the parish celebrated St Mark's Figree's Sesquicentenary. To read more about the background behind building the first Church of England in Hunters Hill, please download Stuart Piggin's essay on the subject "Telling the Big Story through the Little Story".
This page last updated 20/02/2008 Top of page