We acknowledge the Wallumattagal as the prior Aboriginal owners of this area.
Sydney Movement for the Ordination of Women
We support the full & equal role of women in society and in the ministry of the Church.
St Mark's & All Saints' Churches, Anglican Parish of Hunters Hill
1857 - (June, 27th) - First community meeting held in Hunters Hill to discuss the plan to build a church which could also be used as a school house. (September, 7th) - A tendor for stone masons to build the school house was advertised in the Sydney Morning Herald.
1858 - (February, 1st) - First services conducted in the new school house church (Known as All Saints on Figtree Hill) by Rev. G. E. Turner. The school flourished for over a decade, by which time there were other schools in the area. The opening of a public school in 1870 coincided with the closing of the church-run school. John Allman Burke, B.A, was the first Curate of the School House.
1859-1860 - Augustine Howie Bull, M.A, was the Minister-in-charge of the Hunters Hill Chapel.
1861-1870 - John Theophilus Schleicher was the Minister of the Hunters Hill Chapel, Ryde.
1870-73 - Charles Archdall (Jnr.), B.A, was the Incumbent Minister (Rector).
1873-76 - Charles Archdall (Snr.), M.A
1876-1882 - Julian Henry Rowsell
1882-1900 - Phillip Richard Spry Bailey, L.Th.
1883 - Church wardens were given the authority to purchase suitable land for a new church building and rectory - the site chosen was the present-day location of All Saints in Ferry Street.
1884 - (April, 4th) John Horbury Hunt was commisioned as the architect and civil engineer for the new church building.
1885 - (May, 30th) The cornerstone for the new church was laid by the Right Reverend Alfred Barry.
1887 - Bevington Organ in All Saints was built in London. June, 16th - First recital of the organ in All Saints.
1888 - (April, 22nd) Dedication of the completed church building by the Right Reverend Alfred Barry, the then bishop of Sydney and Primate.
1900-1925 -Edward Owen, B.A
1901 - Organ in St Mark's was first installed (subsequently restored and rebuilt 2 times).
1908 - The old wooden church in Woolwich, St John's, demands to be free of control from All Saints and construction begins on a new stone building on May, 30th.
1925-1945 -Montague Golden Hinsby, L.Th
1945-1961 - Charles William James Gumbley, M.A
1962-1985 - Charles Henry Sherlock, Th.L. Old chapel moves location and becomes St Mark's, Figtree.
1985-2000 - Michael Clive Harcourt Norton, M.A
1998 - Clive Lawrence Watkins (Assistant Minister from 1998-2006)
2000 - Phillip Bradford
2007-2010 Peter Clarke (Assistant Minister from 2007-2010)
This page last updated 15/06/2011 Top of page