We acknowledge the Wallumattagal as the prior Aboriginal owners of this area.
Sydney Movement for the Ordination of Women
We support the full & equal role of women in society and in the ministry of the Church.
St Mark's & All Saints' Churches, Anglican Parish of Hunters Hill
The organ, situated in a chamber on the north side of the chancel, is Opus 1394, and was built in 1887 by Henry Bevington & Sons, costing £810. The specification has remained unchanged making this one of Australia's finest historic organs where the Bevington sound is truly preserved. The organ was completely restored by Pitchford & Garside in 1998.
The firm of Bevington and Sons produced more than 2,000 organs during 150 years of trade. Henry Bevington commenced business in 1794 after finishing his apprenticeship with the English firm of Ohrmann and Nutt. The workshop was located at different times in Greek, Rose and Manette Steets in the Soho district of London. Their magnum opus was built for St Martin-in-the-Fields, London in 1854 (3 manuals and 48 stops). Bevington organs won medals at exhibitions in Paris (1855 and 1867) and London (1862), and were held in high regard for the quality of their construction and voicing. The firm was absorbed into Hill, Norman and Beard in 1944.
At least twelve Bevington organs were imported into Australia, six to Tasmania four to Victoria, and two to New South Wales. The Hunters Hill organ (Opus 1394) is the only one remaining in New South Wales and is the largest remaining in the country following the destruction by fire in 1865 of the other New South Wales instrument which was installed in the first St. Mary's Cathedral, Sydney. This organ had the distinction of having Australia's first 32ft flue stop. The specification of the Bevington at All Saints, Hunters Hill has not changed since installation.
Wind for the organ has been provided in many ways since installation; it was originally hand blown, but was replaced in 1892 by a water engine. Due to increasing water charges this was replaced in 1904 by a gas engine which in turn was replaced by an electric blower in 1927.
Fortunately, several attempts to have the organ modernised in the 1930s were unsuccessful due to lack of funds. The organ has given excellent and almost trouble free service to the church for over 100 years, and has been an important part of All Saints' strong choral tradition since its opening. This fine instrument is thought to be the largest untouched example of Bevington' s work remaining in the world, and can be considered to be one of Australia's most important historic organs.
Henry Bevington & Sons 1887 (3/25 mechanical)
Double Open Diapason
Double Open Diapason
Clarionet et Bassoon
Swell to Great
Swell to Pedals
Choir to Pedals
Great to Pedals
Pedal Super Octave
Mechanical action throughout
5 combination pedals
2 horseshow pedals for couplers
Lever Swell pedal
Pedalboard, parallel and concave
This page last updated 15/09/2007 Top of page