We acknowledge the Wallumattagal as the prior Aboriginal owners of this area.
Sydney Movement for the Ordination of Women
We support the full & equal role of women in society and in the ministry of the Church.
St Mark's & All Saints' Churches, Anglican Parish of Hunters Hill
About the Parish
This area was part of the land of the Wallumattagul. The first European land grants were issued in 1795 and permanent settlement commenced in the 1830's. From circa 1840, the name 'Hunter's Hill' was used to define the peninsula between the Lane Cove and Parramatta Rivers, and 'Tarban' the area immediately to the west.
The genesis of St Mark's at Figtree is closely related to the Church of St. Anne at Ryde, which was the mother church in this area of the 'Church of England' - since 1979 called the 'Anglican Church'. In 1857 a site was purchased on which to build a chapel school house at Tarban.
This page last updated 14/09/2007 Top of page